Dr. Doris Brougham has been a friend to students and English teachers for over 40 years. Studio Classroom, the English teaching program Dr. Brougham founded in 1962, has taught English to hundreds of thousands of native Chinese speakers throughout the world.
In addition to her work with Studio Classroom, Doris has taught English through various other venues, including universities, private companies and government agencies. In 1994, she established the Doris Brougham Scholarship to provide financial assistance to high school students with good grades in English, as well as college and graduate students majoring in English or Mass Communications.
Throughout her career as an educator, Doris has received numerous awards, for her efforts to teach English to Chinese students. While she appreciates each award, her greatest reward is watching Chinese students' English ability get better and better with each passing year.
- Doctor of Humane Letters (L.H.D.) Seattle Pacific University, Seattle, (1991)
- Doctor of Human Letters (L.H.D.) Azusa Pacific University, Los Angeles (1988)
- Doctor of Laws (L.L.D.) Pacific States University, Los Angeles (1986)
- M.A. Communications, Pacific Western University, Los Angeles, (1986)
- B.A. Far East Studies, University of Washington, Seattle (1948)
- King Car Foundation "Schweitzer Award for English Teaching" (2004)
- Toastmasters International "Communication and Leadership Award" (2004)
- Business and Professional Women's Club "Candelight Award" (2004)
- Order of the Brilliant Star with Violet Grand Cordon (2002)
- Golden Tripod Award for outstanding contributions to education (1989)
- Outstanding Educational Promoter Award from the Ministry of Education (1986)
- Confucius Award (1984)
- Good People/Good Deeds Award (1983)
- Golden Bell Award in Educational Radio Programs (1969)